Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"Song about Stalin" by Esslam Yousobof

Song: Song about Stalin
Artist: Ashoug Esslam Yousobof (or Islam Yusufov) and Essmaeel Alikperoff
Also try:  Hmm, I don't know. If you know of anything good in similar musical traditions, let me know.
Commentary: This was probably sung at a time when it was deadly (in what is now Georgia) to criticize Stalin, so I assume it's laudatory. But I'm not posting it because it's about Stalin! Listen to this man kill it with that singing. I love the versatility of the human voice, especially as evidenced by the diversity in world music traditions.
There does appear to be some misinformation on the label: it says "balaban" but I don't hear anything that sounds like a double-reed woodwind. Also, it does seem like it would be some folk instrument, and not a cello or bass viol.

Version:

No comments:

Post a Comment