Search This Blog

Friday, September 6, 2013

"Bouchraka Ya Kalbi" by Mohamed Effendi El-Achek

Song: Bouchraka Ya Kalbi (which can be translated as "Be Happy, My Heart")
Artist: Mohamed Effendi El-Achek
Also try:  the Syrian people
Commentary: I'm not trying to make a big political statement about Syria by posting a song from Syria. Or maybe I am... I do like Teju Cole's answer to the question "What's the right answer to Syria?" and he said, "I don’t know man. ... Somehow, we must keep the humanity of the people in Syria before us. Anything thing we do or do not do, or say or do not say, should be about them, not about us. We must live perpetually in hope of a negotiated settlement."

Note: I'm also not tryna romanticize some pristine, untroubled Syrian past by posting a song recorded in 1908.

Version:

No comments:

Post a Comment