Search This Blog

Saturday, March 1, 2014

"Black, but Comely" by Baby Dee

Song: Black, but Comely
Artist: Baby Dee
Album: A Book of Songs for Anne Marie
Also try:  Joanna Newsom, Anohni & the Johnsons, Current 93
Commentary: I think I've mentioned that Drag City is my favorite label. I continue to discover wonders through it. Somehow I missed the other harpist/pianist (besides Joanna Newsom, who I also adore). Some of Baby Dee's tunes might sound ... uninteresting in some ways, but I find her voice and lyrics entrancing. Her Youtube presence includes a lot of grainy, staticky phone vids and this is one of them. Watching her play the harp and hearing her live vocal maneuvers seem worth it. I'm still trying to decide if I like her newer, jazzier stuff, though.

Version:

No comments:

Post a Comment