Search This Blog

Monday, November 11, 2013

100th post! Danielson, Destroyer, Neutral Milk Hotel

Song: Cutest Lil' Dragon
Artist: Danielson Famile
Album: Tri-Danielson
Also try:  Half-Handed Cloud
Commentary: I have long claimed "Cutest Lil Dragon" as my favorite song. There are many reasons for this: it's catchy, it's weird, and I have a lot of respect for Danielson as an artist. It had to go first here.

Version:



Song: The Bad Arts
Artist: Destroyer
Album: Streethawk: A Seduction
Commentary: Among my many weaknesses is one for multi-part songs. This 7 minute song is too short; each part leaves me wanting more, even the incessant coda of "You've got the spirit, don't lose the feeling". I think of Gertrude Stein's comments on her use of repetition to revive an image (rose) and grin at Bejar's rah-rah finale. I can never tell if Dan Bejar's lyrics are profound or nonsensical and mundane.

Version:




Song: Oh Comely
Artist: Neutral Milk Hotel
Album: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Commentary: I would say this song has been stuck in my head more than any other music, ever. "Your father made fetuses with flesh-licking ladies", in particular, has haunted more moments than I could count.

Version:

No comments:

Post a Comment