Search This Blog

Monday, November 25, 2013

"Lonesome Traveler" by Gabriel Slavitt

Song: Lonesome Traveler
Artist: Gabriel Slavitt
Album: Selections from Alfalfa
Also try:  Damien Jurado, anti-folk music
Commentary: A friend from high school (to whom I haven't spoken) posted about this dude on Facebook. Since she was a founding member of the uber-local band, the Wonkey Donkeys (this one not the Dorset indie pop group), her taste was trustworthy. I was pleasantly surprised to be drawn in immediately. Magnificently understated vocal harmonies (with a pleasant amount of difference between the voices), a charming and repetitive-to-an-excellent-extent guitar line, and a warm, lo-fi aesthetic all sucked me in with this, the first song I heard. Now I've heard all 3 albums and am groovin'! "Folksy, homespun" (my words) lyrics about things like an "ole bearcat" aren't quite a draw for me, but I get it.
Now I am currently getting sucked into a musical exploration of the tag "american primitive" on bandcamp. Uh oh!

Version:

No comments:

Post a Comment