Search This Blog

Monday, March 25, 2013

"cool jumper" by Wavves

Song: "cool jumper"
Artist: Wavves
Also try:  Times New Viking's Rip it Off, Vivian Girls, Zach Hill in Death Grips, Best Coast
Commentary: Kills me. This is some cutting-edge post pop-punk. Clearly drawing from the same playbook as pop-punk (their new album sounds so much like Green Day sometimes), Wavves are subverting the paradigm in awesome ways (and that's why it's still "indie", so it's cool, right?). Just look how long this song is! While their earlier albums, Wavves and Wavvves, have the more innovative music, "Cool Jumper" is easy to like and Zach Hill rocks it (it's always a little sad when bands take the Modest Mouse path from ground-breaking to complacent). Anyway, I'm posting this because a new Wavves album comes out tomorrow!

2020 update: I was vaguely aware of vaporwave at the time, but did not know what it was called.

Version:

PS - I was pleasantly surprised by this fan video; I think Wavves would approve.
PPS - It was a total accident that I posted at 4:20, but I think Wavves would also approve (cf. cool jumper art )

No comments:

Post a Comment