Search This Blog

Friday, March 22, 2013

RIP Jason Molina

I'm making a double Jason Molina post in honor of his recent passing. Jason Molina was a talented songwriter who made me feel connected to the Midwest. I've come to appreciate his dark musings only lately, never getting into the promotional singles on Secretly Canadian's websites. It was Magnolia Electric Co.'s Daytrotter session that first piqued my interest and Didn't It Rain that first sucked me in. I'm still working my way through the prolific Molina's impressive oeuvre and look forward to discovering more of his work. I should also say that it's musicians' voices that often hook me. I couldn't tell you how many times I've found myself trying to imitate the distinctive warbles that enrich his singing.
Song: The Dark Don't Hide It
Artist: Magnolia Electric Co.
Album: Trials & Errors
Also try:  Will Oldham (Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Palace, etc.), Bill Callahan, Silver Jews
Commentary: The "Dark Don't Hide It" was my catchy point of entree to Jason Molina. This is a great live version and Molina does some great variations live.

Version:

Song: Blue Chicago Moon
Artist: Songs:Ohia
Album: Didn't It Rain
Also try:  BPB's I See A Darkness, Mark Kozelek, Cat Power
Commentary: "Blue Chicago Moon" comes in at almost 7 minutes, but Jason Molina uses every second to unfold his bleak, semi-narrative vision. His allowance for hope keeps the experience from despair, but Songs:Ohia sure creates a brooding, pensive mood here.

Version:

No comments:

Post a Comment